Wednesday, February 07, 2007

UK - 2 'kidnap plot' suspects freed

Police complete searches but are forced to release 2 suspects

Whilst saturation coverage of the UK letter bomb campaign continues, other news has gone mostly unreported. In developments surrounding another possible terror plot, police have had to release 2 persons who were arrested last week. The men, who were both released from custody in the early hours of Wednesday, were amongst nine other individuals arrested in a supposed kidnap plot. Police had asked for more time to question the suspects but had their request turned down by a district judge. No official confirmation has been made that the suspects were involved in such a plot, but it has been widely reported the men had intended to kidnap a Muslim soldier and behead him in a so called ‘Iraq style execution’. Neither of the released suspects was told why they had been arrested according to their lawyer. Gareth Peirce, solicitor for the two released men, told the BBC, "They have left the police station without any better understanding of why they were there than when they first arrived seven days ago. Not a word was ever mentioned to either of them about a plot to kidnap or the grisly suggestion of a beheading or even of a soldier at all." Police have until Saturday to question the remaining 7 suspects. Meanwhile police say have completed searches at 18 locations connected with the alleged plot.

No comments: