Thursday, May 17, 2007

Prince Harry prevented from fighting Iraq war

Prince Harry, third in line to the throne, is no longer being allowed to go to Iraq. Reasons cited by the MoD are that he would be a danger to his troops, and although many were prepared to take the risk, the MoD have said they were not prepared to place the extra stress upon their families. There has been criticism from other family members of those serving in Iraq suggesting there was a sense of favouritism and a lack of even handedness. The Vanessa Feltz show on BBC London drew a mixed response to the decision. Some expressed the view that there had never been the intention of sending the Prince due to the open public announcement made several months ago, which was bound to draw out the insurgent threats and intense media coverage. If there had been a real intention to send Prince Harry, he could have been sent without any mention to the media and only after his time had been served, should it have been announced. The media speculation surrounding his intended tour of duty has been intense since it was originally announced. Countless reports have surfaced that indicate insurgent groups would make the Royal a prime target. This along with increased attacks on British troops in southern Iraq as well as recent kidnappings of US troops near Baghdad were probably factors in the MoD decision which was made public late Wednesday afternoon. As for the Prince, he was said to be “disappointed” at the decision. He had said publicly several months ago he had always had a strong desire to see action and join other British troops on the frontline. “Why else would I drag my sorry arse through Sandhurst”, he said with regards his intention to fight for God, Queen and Country. It now looks as though he is caught between a desk job or making a decision to resign his post [BBC / CNN].

No comments: